What We're Cooking: Chicken and Spinach Lasagna


While I can't claim credit for this recipe, I will claim it's adaptation. 

In its original form it was a cheese and spinach cannelloni bake made by a Church friend a few Sundays ago. I knew I had to recreate it at home when during lunch, a little boy who will remain nameless, devoured my serving, leaving the tiniest morsel for me to savour. 

Upon trying a meal we haven't made ourselves, it's fairly typical for Joel and I to discuss the various ways in which we'd tweak it. Our first tweak was to turn it into a lasanga and forgo the tiresome job of stuffing cannelloni shells. We also thought we'd add chicken. Other than that we kept everything the same although now, having made and eaten it, I know what I'd do differently next time (like adding mushrooms and leek).

Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
(measurements can be easily adjusted as necessary)

chicken breast, diced
500g tub cottage cheese
1x box frozen spinach (drained after defrosting) or equal amount fresh
1x pack french onion soup mix
approx. 1.5 cups grated cheese
jar pasta sauce (flavour of choice)
approx. 1/4 cup thickened cream
lasagna sheets

 cook chicken breast, then set aside
mix together cottage cheese, spinach, soup mix and 1/2 cup cheese
add chicken and stir through

mix pasta sauce and thickened cream together

layer ingredients in a lightly greased baking dish
sprinkle remaining cheese on top
cook in a moderate oven until pasta cooked

We had this on a rainy Friday night with garlic bread and a side of greens. Delicious! One we'll definitely come back to.
What have you been cooking lately?

Comments

Popular Posts