Mid Term



Hello? Is this thing still on? My apologies for the lack of posts. The days have been full, to say the least. It's hard to find time to sit and write at length here. Then, on the rare occasion both children are asleep at the same time well, I'd rather be reading or stitching than sitting in front of a screen.

And I suppose that's where I'm at. Wanting to write here (and trust me, I do) but also feeling the pull to retreat, to keep some things to myself, to slow down and savour my days with the children without a screen between us. They are my most important work and while it is demanding -physically, emotionally and spiritually- I have found more satisfying and fruitful refreshment when I seek time away from technology (I even wrote this post by hand before typing it).

This term has been an intense, somewhat inconvenient and expensive start to the year but it has forced us to think about how we use our time and to make sure we are using it effectively.

I decided that I wanted to carve out more time for myself this year without shirking any family and home duties and so far it's been going well. I've started running again which I am absolutely loving (those post-run endorphins really work and make the early start bearable), I am chipping away at my latest embroidery and trying to establish a solid reading habit. Some days are better than others of course, but slow and steady steps with a little backwards tumble is the way of most things, isn't it.

You know how some people 'take a word' for the year? I suppose mine would be faithfulness. That's been on my mind for a while now and it is a theme I keep seeing as I go about my days. I love this quote from Sarah Mackenzie in Teaching from Rest:
"Faithfulness does the work set before her each day, knowing these circumstances, today, are from the hand of her Father, who works all things for good and who also asks for obedience."  
When I remember that, my whole perspective changes. I can see past the chaos and find peace. All of this is to say, I'm still here. Still showing up each day to do the work; trying to indulge my own interests and find rest all the while raising little ones and running a household.

Yep, I need that second cup of tea.

Comments

Popular Posts