Letters to Phoebe- One Month


My sweet girl,

Each month during your older brother’s first year, I wrote him a letter and I want to do the same for you. Not only because I hope one day you will read these and love hearing stories of you, but also so I can remember these days of young motherhood too. 

To be honest, we still can’t believe you’re here, let alone that you’re one month young. Already you’ve changed so much! What a happy whirlwind this past month has been! Since you’re arrival we've done very little and only ventured into town when absolutely necessary. It’s been great.

Some little things I want to remember that I think will make you smile:
  • When you were born and in the days following you often kept your eyes closed as if to say, ‘this is all too much,’ but you’ve only become more alert with each passing week and it’s lovely to just sit and watch you watch the world.
  • Leo adores you and will take every opportunity to give you kisses, lay next to you during tummy time or hold you (with assistance) for a cuddle. 
  • You have the same cry face as Leo, amongst other expressions.
  • You snort when you’re hungry. It’s pretty funny.
  • The way you look at me while I'm feeding you and your little hand holds my finger, usually my pinky. You've got a strong grip and I can’t help but keep looking into those beautiful deep grey eyes. Your feeds have become my little moments of stillness during the day because it’s during these times I'm holding you close out of your wrap and focussing only on you.
  • You have long and kind of chubby fingers with the most delicate shaped nails.
  • You have a single roll on each thigh which your brother didn't have and I love nothing more than running my finger along those very definite little creases.
  • You give the most adorable gummy grins and will often laugh in your sleep.
  • You have two grey hairs on the top of your head. I don’t know if they’ll stay but I quietly hope they do.
  • When I pick you up after you've been lying down your hair will have this little patch of messy fuzz at the back. It’s so sweet and soft to touch.
  • You don’t like baths but you like showers and have had some with both Mummy and Daddy.
  • We often nap together and I know that if you can’t settle in your cot, you always will in the crook of my arm.
  • While it can leave my shoulders tired by the days end, I do love wearing you on my chest in your wrap. I think you love it too. Again, if you can’t settle on your own, you’ll always settle within minutes of being placed in your wrap. As I write this you’re asleep on my chest and I can hear your little breath and see the gentle rise and fall of your little body.

I still can't believe I have two (two!) children. Just when I thought my heart couldn't hold any more joy. I am eternally grateful that we have been blessed with you for a daughter. Happy One Month, Phoebe! We love you forever.

Love Mum xx


Comments

Popular Posts