Babywearing


This is where Phoebe has been spending most of her days. That's right, I'm still 'carrying' my child. While it means I need to carefully time my toilet breaks and my shoulders are left tired by the days end, I could not have got through these last few weeks without babywearing. 

I started wearing Leo when he was about four months old, around about the time mothers are expected to be fully participating in society again after having a baby. Up until then I'd held Leo and spent most of those first weeks at home with him in my arms either on the couch or tucked up in bed. It was wonderful. Eventually though there were chores and errands to be done and I needed both my hands to do them. Cue babywearing.

I was gifted a Baby Bjorn carrier in the lead up to Leo's birth but initially the little guy was just too small for it, even with the infant adjustments. So it stayed in its box until one day, at my wits end with a clingy baby and a house that could no longer be ignored, I speed read the instructions, strapped Leo to me and walked around the lounge room reading aloud from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It wasn't long before Leo was fast asleep and I realised the potential that is babywearing.

Finally, I could have the best of both worlds. My baby snug on my chest that I could kiss and cuddle any time of the day and two free hands that allowed me to hang out the washing, cut up vegetables, eat lunch, read a book, and type. Of course Leo loved it too because he was exactly where he wanted to be 24/7- close to me. 

As we prepared to welcome Phoebe into our family I knew I wouldn't have the luxury second time round to spend my days cuddling a newborn on the couch or in bed. While I'd have a small window to do so when visitors were constant, I knew it wouldn't last and that eventually, as Joel started spending his mornings at school preparing for the new term, it would be me, just me, with two kids. I needed to find a way to make it work and the only solution I could come up with was babywearing.

Because of my previous experience with babywearing and Leo initially not fitting the Baby Bjorn, I seeked an alternative carrier. As it turned out, there's as many options and brands available as there are hours in the day. A chance meeting of a friend of a friend who had just had her second child and was wearing her newborn introduced me to the 'stretchy wrap.' After a quick Google search for an Australian-made equivalent, I discovered Elki Baby. I knew immediately that Gold Coast local, Sarah, and her brand of bamboo baby wraps was exactly what I needed. Everything I read and saw gave me confidence that the stretchy wrap was the way to go. Littlest was going to be comfortable, snug, and would fit, regardless of his or her size. It was an added bonus for me that the Elki Baby wraps just look good. 

So I placed my order and waited for Phoebe. 

I've been wearing her since she was 11 days old, (our flurry of visitors ended at 10 days) and we both absolutely love it. I'm hands free to be available for Leo, I can potter around the house and Phoebe falls asleep within minutes of me placing her in the wrap. Win, win, win. 

If there was one thing I'd recommend to mothers about to welcome their second child, it would be an Elki Baby wrap, no question. Wear your baby, keep your sanity and reap the benefits. Just be aware of washing day, you'll miss your wrap, so maybe buy two?

Comments

Popular Posts