Letter to Leo



Dear Leo,

As I write this I am 35 weeks pregnant with your baby brother or sister. In a few short weeks, our family will welcome a new little person and we'll no longer be a family of three. Your Daddy reminded me recently that when you're older you'll most likely not remember a time before you had a brother or sister and while we both marvelled at the idea, I couldn't help but feel a little sad. You won't remember a time when it was just you and I at home.

This is why I'm writing to you now.

It's been you and I for 20 months, 21 by the time your baby brother or sister arrive. You've been my little shadow and in many ways, I have been yours. Lately you've melted me every time I've felt your little hand find mine and pull me from whatever task I've been trying to complete. I agree, the dishes, my book, returning emails, it can all wait. I wouldn't know where to start telling you the stories of our days at home so for now, I'll just say this: they have been wonderful.

Very soon though, there will be another one to whom my heart also belongs. While your little heart may feel confused and even a little hurt at times, trust my love, trust Daddy's love and all the months that will have come before. This new little person is exactly who our family needs right now. They are just who you need, Leo and you are just the brother for them. I have no doubt you will be a great older brother, full of love for your younger siblings (and yes, I say siblings because God willing, there will be more in the years to come).

As our season as a family of three comes to an end, I wanted to write to you, despite knowing you won't read this or perhaps even appreciate it until you're much older. When you do, hopefully you'll realise that I will always hold these precious days of you and I in my heart. You are the one who made me a mother and taught me what it means to truly put another person's needs before my own. That is a gift I am eternally grateful for (even on the days when I'm not very good at it) and it is one only you could have given me. This baby, your brother or sister, isn't just Daddy and mine, they are yours too. They are yours to grow up with and make memories with. This is our family taking shape. We may not know what it will eventually look like but it is thrilling to be entering this new season with you.

My sweet boy, I love you forever.

Love Mum xx

Comments

Popular Posts