Little Firsts


Leo turned 16 months last week. How did that happen? This time last year he was busy rolling over from his tummy to his back and now he is running and dancing and climbing and devouring Pumpkin Laksa Soup for his dinner. Lately, we've been seeing lots of 'little firsts' and I thought I'd share a few here.
  • At the park Leo climbed the equipment and went down the slide by himself. Usually he's needed some coaxing and/or someone passing him up to me. While he loved going down the slide he still needed some reminding to go feet first. 
  • During our week in Brisbane Leo began walking down the stairs at my parents' house upright, one foot after the other, holding onto the railings. The smile and happy chatter that escaped Leo while he did this was pure magic. He was one proud boy.
  • When I've taken Leo up for Communion at Church, I've usually taken two pieces of blessed bread, one for Leo and one for me. To my amazement two Sundays ago, Leo took a piece himself. He also went up for a blessing on his own at the Liturgy's end. He kissed Christ and received a blessing from Fr and another piece of bread.
While I don't necessarily miss baby Leo, I find myself looking at him and wondering just how on earth he grew up so fast. Then I remind myself that he's not yet two, but still, one day my shoes that he puts on and walks around the house in won't fit. One day he'll be taller than me. One day he won't want to hold my hand (the heartache that will ensue!) Since I feel the passing of time even more since becoming a mum, I choose to linger in the sweet moments I have each day with Leo. Whether it's a cuddle on the couch, holding him while he drifts off to sleep, chasing him around the house, or consoling him when he cries, I resist the urge to rush. Chores can wait because these babies, they don't keep. 

Comments

Popular Posts