Holiday Reading



While I've still managed to keep up my reading since having Leo, I'll admit there have been more breaks between books than I'd like to share. A personal goal for this year is to read 15 books (a modest but achievable number I think) and so far I'm on track. Since school holidays are now in full swing, I thought I'd use the time to attend to some more deliberate (and age-appropriate) reading. 

I bought Shining Glory for Joel last year as a Father's Day present with every intention of reading it for myself. Now is that time! I started it last week and am thoroughly enjoying Leithart's essay.

Have you seen the film the essay is writing to? It really is a must see but I should warn you, don't expect a linear narrative, it isn't. Malick is an auteur director and he plays with the form. As Leithart says in the opening of his essay:
"The Tree of Life is hard to follow. Characters are not always easy to identify, and most are never named. The film makes quick cuts, sometimes to scenes that seem completely unrelated to the previous action. Scenes overlap with and spill into each other, so that at some moments in the film there are three or more time-frames at work simultaneously, one visual, one in voiceover, one indicated by the music. Terms like "elusive," "elliptical," "impressionistic" slip regularly from the critics."
I studied Film and Television at university so reading Leithart takes me right back and rekindles that love of film as an art form. Watch the trailer for yourself -with the volume right up- and see if it doesn't stir something in you. 



 



What are you reading these days? Any recommendations?


Comments

Popular Posts