Grief Observed

Light in the dark

A couple of weeks ago I wrote this on my Facebook status:
"While I'm not one to 'update my status' I feel compelled to today. Having just returned home from an incredibly moving and honouring funeral, I read on Facebook of two friends who have also lost loved ones too soon. My heart breaks for them and their families. Our time is short and we do not know when we will be called to our true home. So love generously. Forgive easily. Hold your loved ones tight. Then do it all again."
This past month has been a humble reminder that in every moment, someone, somewhere, is experiencing their darkest hour. When we are the ones indirectly affected (as we have been thus far, by God's grace) and are not quite close enough to offer comfort, we stand at our prayer corner. A candle is lit and our prayer book is opened to the now familiar words of the prayers for the departed. These prayers bring peace and despite our own unworthiness, we have a great hope that in God's mercy He hears us and receives his departed servants and brings comfort to all those who mourn their repose.

***

Needless to say, grief has been on my mind a lot of late. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend reading Sheryl Sandberg's post about her late husband and this obituary.


(Image via Flickr)

Comments

Popular Posts