Pity for Mrs Jones

Right now, my days are made of early mornings, lullabies, nappy changes, cooking and washing. While I am relishing this season of family life in all its beautiful simplicity, I still battle those niggling thoughts that it isn't enough, that I'm not doing enough, or anything at all. 

Then a few weeks ago, Joel left this quote on my Facebook wall:
"I can understand how [mothering] might exhaust the mind, but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it. How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman's function is laborious because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness."
-G.K Chesterton
It was such an encouragement to read those words. Being a mum is one of the most challenging, rewarding and wonderful roles I will ever know. While motherhood makes me acutely aware of my shortcomings and character flaws, it also provides the greatest joy. I am raising my son -a life!- and building a family culture alongside my husband. What could be better or more fulfilling than that?

While my day-to-day life at present is a humble one (see above), I need to remind myself of the magnitude of the task that lay before me and to see the dignity of those menial tasks because they are essential. 

How are you travelling this Thursday? I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!


My little love and I

Comments

Popular Posts