Simple Brownies


As friends and family can attest, I'm yet to meet a brownie I didn't like. They've been a bit of a talking point of late, due to some decadent ones made recently by my mother-in-law. Because of this, I thought I'd throw my new go-to recipe into the mix because these brownies have joined the Welsh Family Classics.

Personally, I like my brownies to have a flaky, crispy top, feel soft and cake-like on the outside but with a dense and fudgy centre. I know, I've thought about this way too much. Let's move on, shall we?

I've been following Noha Serageldin's Instagram, Matters of the Belly for a little while now but only recently started making her recipes. Her Herby Slow-Roast Chicken and Veg has been my go to with recent guests and I think I've made her brownies six (?) times now. They instantly appealed because they're made on cocoa, not a block of dark chocolate as many brownies are. Also, the recipe was quick and easy, another big tick with two little people underfoot.

Here's the thing, the first time I made them I was pretty low on some necessary ingredients (like cocoa) and needed to improvise (I supplemented with cacao). The result though was perfection. I mean, they were the best brownies I have ever ever tasted. I made them a few days later to check if it was the cocoa/cacao mix that made the difference and while I can vouch that it was, it still took a few more attempts to get the right ratio. You're welcome.

For those wanting to bake and taste for themselves, here's the recipe:

Simple Brownies

140g unsalted butter
250g sugar
85g unsalted cocoa powder (I use roughly 1/3 cacao and 2/3 cocoa)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
65g plain flour (I use a little less, closer to 50g)
flaky sea salt, for sprinkling*
  1. Preheat oven to 160C and line baking pan.
  2. Melt butter, sugar, cocoa, cacao and salt in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until combined. It will be gritty because of the sugar but this is fine.** Stir in the vanilla. 
  3. Take off heat and let cool for a good ten minutes (this is important) before adding the eggs and stirring until combined.
  4. Add flour and stir until you can no longer see it, and then for a little longer.
  5. Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle generously with sea salt and bake for 15-25 minutes (depending on your oven and how you like your brownies, I find 25 minutes perfect).
  6. Leave the brownies to cool completely in the pan before tucking in.

*I think this recipe would be a great base for various add-ins if you fancied them.
** Noha melts these ingredients in 30-second intervals in the microwave. You can do this but my preference is to slowly melt and stir on the stove.

This blurry face was more than happy to help 'clean' the bowl.

Comments

Popular Posts