In Honour of Nostalgia


She's beautiful, isn't she?





I was recently gifted a vintage Sunbeam Mixmaster and was immediately transported back to my childhood. My Mum did all her baking with her Mixmaster and it's still going strong after 20+ years. I can even remember waiting in the car after school while Mum dropped it in to be repaired at Shannon's Electrical.

When I received mine, I knew what I had to bake.
(I even messaged Mum for the original recipe from Day to Day Cookery).




The familiar sound of the old motor beating butter and sugar took me back to a happy childhood where butterfly cakes were a regular feature and it was perfectly acceptable to eat leftover batter, despite the raw egg content (!) You always hoped there would be more than a morsel left to savour and sometimes, you got lucky. 

I learnt to bake with Mum and the Mixmaster as my helper and I feel like I've come full circle as Leo now sits on the bench (like this) and helps add the ingredients. Already I see the hopeful face that begs for a taste of batter. 

And sometimes, he gets lucky. 

Comments

Popular Posts