From Twilight to Unclouded Day

Lately I've been reading through the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M Montogmery and thoroughly enjoying it. I can't recommend it enough. I'm only sorry it's taken me this long to read it.



I remember being given the film version as a birthday present from my Grandma when I was younger and being totally bored by it but I can still remember the enthusiasm Nanoo, my Mum and Aunties showed when I opened it. The story held fond memories for them but at the time, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Now I do.

Reading it is like a breath of fresh air. While it's an easy read (it is an older children's book after all), it's not an unintelligent one and I've been finding it nothing short of relaxing at the day's end.

I wish I started writing out favourite quotes and passages from the first book because there's been so many great lines from Anne Shirley and vivid descriptions of Prince Edward Island. Many a time I've read aloud passages to Joel and even he can't deny the beauty of some of them.

Like this one from Anne of the Island, the third book in the series. I read it out to Joel and couldn't hold back the tears or stop my voice from wavering.

"Mrs Rachel Lynde said emphatically after the funeral that Ruby Gillis was the handsomest corpse she ever laid eyes on. Her loveliness, as she lay, white-clad, among delicate flowers that Anne had placed about her, was remembered and talked of for years in Avonlea. Ruby had always been beautiful; but her beauty had been of the earth, earthy; it had had a certain insolent quality in it, as if it flaunted itself in the beholder's eye; spirit had never shone through it, intellect had never refined it. But death had touched it and consecrated it, bringing out delicate modellings and purity of outline never seen before -doing what life and love and great sorrow and deep womanhood joys might have done for Ruby. Anne, looking down through a mist of tears at her old playfellow, thought she saw the face God had meant Ruby to have, and remembered it so always." 

Isn't that beautiful? I'll have to track down a copy of the television movie. I do wonder what a twelve year old me would have thought reading these books.

If you're in a reading mood, you should also check out:

Why We Loved Gilbert Blythe
Ten Things I Learned From Loving Anne of Green Gables




(image via What Next?)

Comments

Popular Posts