Life in Black and White

When I first started getting serious about photography, I came across a tip that seems to have stuck. It was that if colour wasn't an important part of the image, then shoot in black and white because colour can distract. I have taken this to heart and now find myself often changing the settings on my camera, quite unconsciously mid-shoot, to black and white.

I think as an amateur photographer shooting in black and white is helpful because you train your eye to look for strong lines, interesting angles and compositions. You don't have the distraction that colour can sometimes be. When you're starting something new, having one less thing to worry about is always helpful. 

It's why I chose to shoot in black and white for my first year of the 52 Project. I'm so happy I did. I love the images of Leo I've captured so far. 

Below are two examples that hopefully illustrate my point. Neither picture relies on colour to help tell the story. You might disagree, but I find the black and white images far more striking than their colour counterparts.










Also, 9 Composition Tips

Comments

Popular Posts